As Mother’s Day approaches, all of us at Smoky Mountain Home Health and Hospice want to extend our warmest thoughts and heartfelt support to those who are experiencing this day without their mother, or a cherished “Mom-like” figure in your life. We understand that your loss is felt deeply, and we want you to know that we stand with you during this time when remembering mom isn’t easy.
Mother’s Day can be an especially challenging time for those who have lost their mothers. It’s completely normal to feel a mix of sadness and longing, not only on the first Mother’s Day without her, but for many years to come. As the day approaches, seeing displays of greeting cards, boxes of candy, and bouquets of flowers may stir up a range of emotions. It’s important to recognize and honor these feelings and understand that this day may continue to be difficult.
If you find yourself yearning to remember mom in a special way, trust your instincts and allow yourself to honor her memory in whichever way feels right for you. Grief is a personal journey, and everyone experiences it in their own unique way. Whether you feel ready to celebrate your mother’s life on this day, or if you simply wish to get through it, both are completely valid responses.
Here are a few suggestions for ways to honor and remember mom on Mother’s Day. Remember, it’s okay to cry, to laugh, and to reminisce about the precious moments you shared. Celebrating your love and bond with your mother can be a source of comfort and healing.
- Light a candle and enjoy your mom’s favorite music.
- Set an honorary place at the table, decorated with a single, beautiful flower.
- Plant a tree or shrub in your garden as a living tribute to her memory.
- Create a vibrant garden of wildflowers that will bloom in her honor.
- Make a donation to a charity that was close to your Mom’s heart.
- Share a meal with a special lady who has no local family, extending love and companionship.Visit your Mom’s resting place and leave a bouquet of her favorite flowers.
- Write a heartfelt letter to your mom, expressing all the love, gratitude, and unspoken words you carry with you.During a family meal, invite everyone to share a cherished memory or something they appreciated about your mother.
- Choose the perfect Mother’s Day card, as if for her, and write a heartfelt note inside.
- Offer a moment of gratitude for the blessing of having had a wonderful mom.
- Dedicate some quiet time for personal reflection and remembrance, cherishing the memories you hold dear.
As we conclude, we would like to share a touching poem titled “The Watcher,” a beautiful reminder that a mother’s love transcends time and space:
She always leaned to watch for us
Anxious if we were late,
In winter by the window,
In summer by the gate.
And though we mocked her tenderly
Who had such foolish care,
The long way home would seem more safe,
Because she waited there.
Her thoughts were all so full of us
She never could forget,
And so I think that where she is,
She must be watching yet.
Waiting ‘til we come home to her
Anxious if we are late,
Watching from Heaven’s window,
Leaning from Heaven’s gate.
The Team at Smoky Mountain Home Health and Hospice